Friday, May 10, 2013

Jueves: LAN y Cueca


¡Hola! Today started with our second dance class, this time with the dance called cueca. Cueca was quite different from salsa, and in my opinion much more difficult. Rather than a repeated step pattern like in the salsa, the ceuca is somewhat elaborate series of steps that go in order. It’s a dance done in pairs, and we were told that it’s supposed to replicate a rooster trying to impress a hen. It definitely takes some practice to dance well, but I think we all had a good time nonetheless.

Later we had lunch at the university, then drove back to Santiago to visit LAN. Luis, the LAN representative, first just told us a bit about what kind of maintenance is involved in the planes. I learned that planes typically undergo a maintenance check-up once a year, and a more in-depth analysis every 5 years. Luis explained that when a plane fails a pre-departure test, replacement planes are always on hold so that the flight does not need to be cancelled. I was unsure beforehand if I would enjoy this visit, since I am not interested in aerospace processes, but the trip was surprisingly very interesting. I even think I might want to work for a company like LAN someday, since Luis mentioned that a lot of work is currently being done to improve the efficiency of LAN planes. Working with biofuel or developing new materials to build structures could definitely be an exciting job in my future.




Later, Luis gave us a tour of one of LAN’s newest planes. We all asked if it would be possible to switch our flights so that we could be on that plane. The interior was gorgeous, and had a lot of new features like dimming windows and wider aisles.  This also likely was due to the efforts or engineers, possibly industrial engineers who focus on efficiency and space-saving projects. Altogether our time spent at LAN was very informative, and I look forward to the other upcoming company visits. Now for some dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment